Old May 19th 14, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mayor sets out plan for 22-mile ring-road tunnel under London

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 09:38:19AM -0500, wrote:
(David Cantrell) wrote:
wrote:
I don't think you have absorbed the lessons of how roads generate
new traffic.

So do railways. So clearly it's pointless to build or upgrade railways
because they'll only get clogged up with pesky passengers.

Not at all. As has been demonstrated over the last 20 years, the railways
have handled huge increases in traffic surprisingly easily.

Mmmm. Just because they make it *look* easy doesn't mean that all the
civil engineers, train builders, timetablers and so on are just slacking
off.

But anyway, you, my friend, appear to have not absorbed the lessons of
how junctions and conflicting movements impede traffic flow. THAT's the
problem of the south circular.

Ho, ho! How simplistic!

Then enlighten me, oh wise sage, how would you either make the south
circular fit for purpose or unneeded?

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life
-- Samuel Johnson