Old April 18th 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John Haines John Haines is offline

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

In article ,
John Hearns wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:53:16 +0000, Richard J. wrote:

Maybe, but I was comparing the situation in a typical office
building, say, where lifts are not available in a fire, with the
situation in a tube *train* (not station) where there is neither
refuge nor fireproof lift.

The lift at Bermondsey is a firefighting lift.

And I'm asking you in return what is the LU/Fire Brigade policy for
dealing with obese and elderly passengers in the event of an
evacuation?

My guess - the fire brigade help them up the stairs.

The point of a fire lift is that there should be a safe lobby area
associated with it. The lift is designed to be safe to use in a fire.
People who cannot manage the stairs go to the lobby and wait. The fire
brigade is informed they are there so they can go and get them (using
the lift).

Design of the lift includes making the electrical system safe,
providing smoke extraction or (pressurisation) and putting sufficient
pump capacity in so it does not fill with water.

Disclaimer:
That is the idea in buildings, I cannot vouch for it being LUL policy.

John Haines