Old June 17th 14, 11:57 AM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london

Default What's it(!) with Uber?

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

The hackney licences cover a specific area (for hailing). Any
sensible system should allow the council to specify that in more
detail than just "The City of Cambridge", to allow for anomalies such
as this[1].

Have you actually read the Town police Clauses Act 1847?

Although you mentioned earlier that the new station forecourt isn't
going to be a Highway. Is there any prohibition on hackneys plying
for hire on *private* land outside their area (in this case 'The
City')?

Apparently yes. That was the first question I asked when I foresaw this
problem some years ago now.

[1] Another anomaly I'm aware of is East Midlands Airport, which
despite being sometimes described as "Nottingham East Midlands" and
with Derby as the closest conurbation, is actually in Leicestershire.

--
Colin Rosenstiel