Old June 17th 14, 01:49 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default What's it(!) with Uber?

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 05:37:20 on
Tue, 17 Jun 2014, remarked:
Are you really proposing that local authorities should have the power
to change the law as they see fit?

They do it all the time. Every speed limit change or new yellow line
for example. Ely recently changed the law applying to the Broad
Street car park (such that it's now half and half long/short stay).
They also changed the law to allow cycling along quay/riverside
footpath, which I don't agree with but they did it anyway.

They only make regulations in accordance with powers granted to them by
Parliament. No powers, no regulations. What powers to deem somewhere not
in
their area to be in their area for any purpose can you describe?

The hackney licences cover a specific area (for hailing). Any sensible
system should allow the council to specify that in more detail than just
"The City of Cambridge", to allow for anomalies such as this[1].

Although you mentioned earlier that the new station forecourt isn't going
to be a Highway. Is there any prohibition on hackneys plying for hire on
*private* land outside their area (in this case 'The City')?

[1] Another anomaly I'm aware of is East Midlands Airport, which despite
being sometimes described as "Nottingham East Midlands" and with Derby as
the closest conurbation, is actually in Leicestershire.

Oh no it's not

Rushcliffe District, Nottinghamshire

tim