Old June 17th 14, 11:24 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london
JNugent[_5_] JNugent[_5_] is offline

Default What's it(!) with Uber?

On 17/06/2014 21:08, wrote:
In article ,

(JNugent) wrote:

On 17/06/2014 11:22, Basil Jet wrote:

Surely if there was no demand for hackney carriages in South Cambs
previously, and this new science park creates such a demand, one thing
to do would be to allow a small number of South Cambs private hires to
become South Cambs hackney carriages.

There is no recognised system for that.

It would be just as easy - and probably more expedient - to simply
allow some or all of the hackney-carriage owners to apply for an
extra vehicle licence (or licences).

I don't think the same vehicle can be licensed as both a hackney carriage
and hire car.

What need would there be for it?

I'm more familiar with the Cambridge City rules which have
conflicting vehicle appearance requirements intended to make a clear
distinction between hackneys and hire cars. I'm fairly sure South Cambs has
similar rules even if they are less prescriptive.

Most areas have similar provisions.

None of that has any relevance to what I said, though.