Old June 25th 14, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

In message of Wed, 25 Jun 2014
21:33:35 in uk.transport.london, Tony Dragon
writes
On 25/06/2014 15:30, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message , Tony Dragon
writes

The Freedom Pass also can clash (error 94 on the reader)

That's (very) rarely a clash but a mis-read when someone waves their
card about and expected the reader to magically read it. Freedom pass
users are one of the worst offenders at this but not unique.

A proper CPC clash is 70 or 71 which is reporting it's detected 2 cards
or a read error.

Those more observant of you may have noticed that recently the UTS gates
have had a software upgrade and many of these codes now report a 'plain
text' translation of the error code on the second text line.

Lets see, Freedom Pass in wallet, Debit Card in wallet, gates don't open.
Remove either, gates open.
So a card clash.

Possibly!
My experience of error 94 is that it is the result of sliding the card
over the detector, rather than placing it thereon.
http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/codes.html shows
94 - Card communications failed - Bad swipe of card/Card not read
I have never seen
70 - Near Field Radio error (Usually, two Oyster Cards presented at the
same time, or other Oyster processing error), or other unspecified
Oyster Card error
71 - Multiple cards (More than one Oyster card detected)

When my Freedom Pass wallet swallowed an Oyster card (both were in the
same pocket), the Oyster card was read on exit at Tufnell Park -
resulting in an unstarted journey.

Have you (Tony Dragon) tried a wallet containing a Freedom Pass and a
debit card and no other card to confirm the behaviour you report.
I suggest you place the wallet and leave it in position for about a
second to eliminate any sliding behaviour. I think gate detectors have a
plate which is sufficiently near horizontal to serve.
Alternatively - double sided tape is wonderful.
My Freedom Pass wallet contains a debit card and about 10 miscellaneous
cards and rarely gives grief - I sometimes grip the top and bottom of
the wallet and proximity detection continues to work through my fingers.

OTOH, sliding cards on readers often causes the following:
[Person ahead slides Oyster and gets 94.]
Your card may work if you place it rather than slide it.
[Does so and passes without acknowledgement.]
You're welcome!

YMMV.
--
Walter Briscoe