Old June 26th 14, 07:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

On 26/06/2014 00:55, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 23:00:36 +0100, "
wrote:

What are the plans for expanding contactless into other cities or
further afield on NR?

I think the Rail Delivery Group are considering the technology but
beyond that I don't know. I am not aware that any of the city regions
are considering contactless bank cards - they're all struggling to get
ITSO based schemes into service.

FWIW, Merseyrail now accepts payments for paper tickets by contactless card:

http://www.merseyrail.org/tickets-passes/ticket-information/contactless-payment.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-24794486

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3512283/merseyrail-completes-deployment-of-contactless-ticket-payment-systems/

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Rail-News/merseyrail-introduces-contactless-payment

The latter two articles make it clear that this is contactless payment
being added as an option to ticket offices and to TVMs (initially at the
former, with the latter following later) - so a much more conventional
deployment of the technology compared to London.

(I can see a quite delightful scope for confusion should TVMs and ticket
offices in London start accepting contactless cards as a means of paying
for conventional paper tickets!)