Old June 26th 14, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

In message , at 08:17:03 on Thu, 26 Jun
2014, Mizter T remarked:
Can Tfl assure me that I get a red light and not credit the wrong card.

If you keep the other card out of the way, I assume this will be the
situation. If you pay using the wrong card, is it the end of the
world?

If you touch in and out with different cards, you will get two
unresolved journeys (unless they a scheme for registering multiple
credit cards to one account and combining all the day's touches - which
I don't think is what they do).

That's definitely not on the agenda - apart from the massively
unnecessary systems complication

It's be very simple, just one additional look-up to be done when the
back-office system post-processes the day's transactions.

and equally spectacular user confusion it'd cause,

I don't think we've the heard the end of this double-unresolved-journey
thing. It's a PR accident just waiting to happen.

it would also enable two or more people to travel around concurrently
and have their journeys capped that day as if they were one person.

That is a more significant issue, but it does illustrate that if you are
prepared to loan your card to someone, then the day's cap is already
transferable between two or more people. I wonder if we will see people
getting pre-paid credit cards with small balances on them, and sharing
them as travel tickets between a group of friends (eg flatmates).

Hmm, now that's got me thinking. How do you "load" a young person's
railcard onto a contactless credit card, or will this be done by having
your online account marked as being associated with a railcard that's
been presented to the system somehow, somewhere.