Old June 27th 14, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

In message , at 22:15:28 on Thu, 26 Jun
2014, " remarked:
What are the plans for expanding contactless into other cities or
further afield on NR?

I think the Rail Delivery Group are considering the technology but
beyond that I don't know. I am not aware that any of the city regions
are considering contactless bank cards - they're all struggling to get
ITSO based schemes into service.

Isn't that a bit of a waste of time and resources to work on
introducing ITSO, when eventually everybody will go over to contactless?

ITSO is much simpler than contactless, especially because it stores
products on the card rather than in a collection of databases.

Therefore a season ticket on ITSO will work the barriers where-ever it's
valid, without the need to be sending data off to the central computers
every time it's touched.

Far better for the customer too if an off-route touch refuses entry,
than produces an unexpected and potentially punitive day-ticket for that
trip, once the sums have been done a day later.