Old June 30th 14, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
.net...
On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 22:00:31 +0200, "tim....."
wrote:
Networks do go done once in a while. What are all those commuters

with
"online" season tickets going to do when it does?

Presumably be allowed to travel free. The incentive of course is for it
not to go down.

Yeah. But if this isn't the chosen solution you don't need to bother

storing someone's season ticket on a network server is a dumb thing

to do.

Why?

because you can't guarantee 100% access to it

And what about the percentage of the population that doesn't have a
credit/debit card

Buy single use barcoded tickets?

Oh so new technology that we have to install in stations (and with ticket
inspectors) that we don't have at the moment - to replace something that we
do have.

Pay by phone? (Very few people now don't have even a basic mobile).

Just having a phone doesn't give you the means to bill a ticket to, either
it, or your bank account. You still need that little extra. Something many
of the late adopters will be reluctant to have.

And what about non local journeys?

I expect predominantly online tickets of various types.

Really.

I have to say that so far, my experience of online tickets with DB (who seem
to have embraced this whole-heartedly) is that buying them is a right PITA.

And unless you have print at home (which the ToCs seem reluctant to adopt -
for whatever reason) you still need a technology to convert that online
purchase into a token that the traveler holds (not lease so that he can get
out of an exit barrier

Nah. I think that you have your desired solution and are trying as hard as
possible to shoehorn it into an inappropriate system..

tim