Old July 2nd 14, 09:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default FCC censoring information at Luton Airport Parkway

In article , (Clive Page)
wrote:

On 02/07/2014 07:02, Walter Briscoe wrote:
Relevant URLs, please?

I can't find anything online, but there are posters at the station
claiming an improvement from the start of 2014 (which can't be a
result of covering the windows etc as this wasn't done until this
June). Here is an extract from an email I got from the local station
manager in response to my complaint.

quote
The strategy for example for train drop off times and covering
windows is a proven science used throughout the rail industry. It
has used a simple science that if a customer cannot see a train they
won't be able to run for it. Our published timetables for example,
clearly indicate that to access the station here in a safe manner the
customer should arrive at least 7 minutes prior to the train
departure. It is unfortunate that many passengers do leave
travelling until the last minute and this is when we see the majority
of our accidents.

Most of the recommendations have now been implemented and we have
already seen a drastic decrease in our passenger accidents which is
great news not only for the customer who passes through our station
as we have obviously made it a safer place to travel through, but
also to our staff who pass through it, plus of course benefits to the
business. Some of these projects, due to their success will be
rolled out across our network as good practise.
end quote

7 minutes is utterly ridiculous!

I think he means "practice". Fortunately FCC are about to lose the
franchise; unfortunately the incoming owners are likely to take on
most of the staff, especially the incompetent ones who won't be as
employable elsewhere.

What apps does Clive suggest? Is London Underground covered?

The app I use on my Android phone is a free one called simply
"National Rail" which I found on the Google Play site. It has a poor
user interface but is just about usable. It doesn't cover TfL
services, unfortunately, but there are plenty of other apps that do
that; the one I sometimes use is called London CityMapper.

I use the Real Time Trains web site but I have a Windows phone so the range
of apps is more limited. I've not used anything for the Underground.

--
Colin Rosenstiel