Old July 3rd 14, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
.net...
On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 15:09:33 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:
I never thought ticketing systems could get any more idiotic, but

it looks
like I was wrong. This sounds like a master class in technology for

its own
sake and to hell with the passenger.

I am broadly inclined to agree. Oyster made a lot of sense, as does the
contactless development of it, but it does not apply at all well to longer
distance journeys. I remain of the view that barcode based (with future
NFC expansion) print at home and mobile tickets would have been a better
development.

TBH, I doubt that anyone involved thinks that this technology expands to
long single distance tickets.

that is just a stupid (set of) politician's wishes

But it is good technology for season tickets and by not rocking the boat at
this point there is probably 5 years further development in rolling that out
amongst all of the London (and other) commuters

tim