Old July 3rd 14, 07:02 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london

Default What's it(!) with Uber?

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 17:11:58 on Thu, 3
Jul 2014, JNugent remarked:
The only answer that works is tell people that they should only ever
book such cars in advance, and hence be more assured that it's not an
unlicenced one (with all the associated risks).

"Unlicensed minicabs" is a strawman. There are a few knocking about,
I'm sure, but not as many as people think.

The context is very handy for use as a bogeyman by the real offenders:
licensed minicab drivers who unlawfully ply for hire on the streets
(and that's the majority of them).

I'm not sure why using unlicenced cars as a bogey-man, to encourage a
publicity campaign to encourage people to only use pre-booked cars,
is in any way helpful to licenced minicab drivers illegally plying
for hire.

I think you'll find there is a relationship between the prominence of
vehicle signing and the prevalence of unlicensed "minicabs". That rather
confirms the point I was making that they aren't really a problem in
Cambridge. Plying for hire by drivers of licensed hire cars is, however.
AIUI there are a number of prosecutions of City and South Cambs drivers
pending.

--
Colin Rosenstiel