Old July 4th 14, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Able Peter Able is offline

Default Buses go cashless from 6 July 2014

On 03/07/2014 20:09, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

And if they claim only to have a £20 note, sell an Oyster with £10 on it ?

I guess that things are different nowadays, Michael but, as an LT Bus
Conductor, I was only too pleased to be offered notes. Right from the
start of the shift I used spare moments to build up bags of £1 loose
coinage. This was in pre-decimal days, so that could be a lot of coins
in both number and weight. If a passenger offered me a one pound note
(present value about £14) I was only too happy to take the note, extract
his thruppence - or whatever the fare was - from one of these cash bags,
then drop the remainder into his/her hands. It made cashing up at the
end of the shift much faster.

PA