Old July 4th 14, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Masson[_3_] Peter Masson[_3_] is offline

Default Buses go cashless from 6 July 2014

"Peter Able" wrote

I guess that things are different nowadays, Michael but, as an LT Bus
Conductor, I was only too pleased to be offered notes. Right from the
start of the shift I used spare moments to build up bags of £1 loose
coinage. This was in pre-decimal days, so that could be a lot of coins in
both number and weight. If a passenger offered me a one pound note
(present value about £14) I was only too happy to take the note, extract
his thruppence - or whatever the fare was - from one of these cash bags,
then drop the remainder into his/her hands. It made cashing up at the end
of the shift much faster.

No doubt that made you popular with the passenger, who was hoping that his
change would be a ten bob note, three half-crowns, a two-bob coin, and a
threepenny bit, rather than 79 threepenny bits.

Peter