Old July 19th 03, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jeremy Parker Jeremy Parker is offline

Default Transport science

Good on mathematical modelling without getting too heavy for beginners to
grapple with. Plenty of equations, but all supported by detailed written
explanations of what they do and where the terms in them come from. Deals with
road traffic, but not passenger movements around large railway stations though
(which, oddly enough, might be the kind of thing you'd find in an architecture
text rather than a transport one; but which particular text I couldn't say as
I'm not an architect).

I have a vague idea that UCL's architecture dept has some kind of
commercial spinoff that models how pedestrians *really* behave. It had
quite a good web site that I looked at once upon a time

Also I seem to remember some Scottish firm that does traffic simulations
by taking a plan of the roads of interest, and letting loose a bunch of
software cars in a Monte Carlo simulation. Name "Paramics", or some
such. Again, they had a web site. It only takes two variables to
simulate any car on the road, apparently, but I've forgotten what the
variables were - I think aggressiveness was one.

Jeremy Parker