Old April 19th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Oystercard and penalty fares

Jon E. wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has any experience/opinions on the
following....

I'm quite new to this Oystercard stuff having only used mine for a
couple of weeks so far. I usually recharge it with a weekly
travelcard a few days before expiry but last week (as I didn't
think I'd need it) I didn't bother. I heard over the weekend that
I'd be working in central London, but couldn't renew it by phone
due to the short notice. This morning I got to Clapham Junction and
found they didn't have the facilities to charge it, but one of the
staff let me through the gates to board my train assuring me I
could charge it when I got to Victoria.

That sounds to me like a verbal permit to travel. You should certainly
contact SWT, who presumably employ the person who let you through the
gate, if possible giving his name or other ID, which perhaps you could
obtain if you see him again. This is on the assumption that SWT gave
you wrong advice which led to your £10 penalty fare, and should be made
to reimburse you.
--
Richard J.