Old July 10th 14, 07:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Manston Airport shut permanently on 15th May

In message , at 21:19:39 on Wed, 9 Jul
2014, tim..... remarked:
Right... please understand this: there is NO planning requirement for
there to be local jobs available for the residents of a proposed new
housing development. There never has been such a requirement.

There is if it needs to be "sustainable". That's part of what
sustainable means (in the planning context)

Such "sustainable" developments [to include local workplaces and other
features] were sufficiently different to normal that they were called
eco-towns by the last labour government.

Did any of them actually get the go-ahead?

I note that the one which Gordon Brown announced on TV to be the
'first', Northstowe, isn't even on the shortlist, nor do I think they've
started building non-eco housing there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-towns

The failure of s106 payments from the would-be developers has thrown
the Cambridge Guided Bus project into financial crisis, even though the
bus seems to be well enough patronised by passengers from existing
housing in its corridor.