Old April 19th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Keith J Chesworth Keith J Chesworth is offline

Default Wrong kind of pressure

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:08:39 +0100, "Robin Mayes"
wrote:

Here's the "story". However, at Southend the pressure rose 10 mb in 12 hrs
8pm to 8 am,
hardly an "extreme change". (Source - METARs).

"Paul C" wrote in message
Wrong Kind of Pressure Disrupts Trains

By Peter Woodman, Transport Correspondent, PA News

Rush-hour rail passengers were treated to a new excuse for broken
trains today - the wrong kind of atmospheric pressure.

A sharp rise in atmospheric pressure caused havoc with the fine
workings of Electrostar 357 trains used on the Essex Coast to London
services run by the c2c company.

Eight of the trains lost power, causing severe delays to journeys into
and out of London's Fenchurch Street station.

A c2c spokesman explained: "Oil pressure plays a very important part
in the running of the engines on these trains and this pressure is
determined by atmospheric pressure.

"The atmospheric pressure in the c2c train area this morning was more
than twice what it was yesterday and this led to an airlock which, in
turn, led to the falling down of the pantograph which collects power
from the overhead wires."

He went on: "We had been working with our engineers to introduce a
modification to avoid this kind of problem, but it has not been
installed yet."

--
Paul

About 30psi or 2bar?