Old July 19th 03, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
PeterE PeterE is offline

Default the quest for safety

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
"PeterE" wrote in message
He has specifically admitted contravening Rule 55 on a regular basis.
Likewise I make no claims to scrupulous adherence to Rule 103.

Yes, I pass stop lines against red lights on occasion, though I never
enter the junction itself. That's a bit Clintonesque, I suppose, but
could be likened to deliberately driving at, say, 33 in a 30 limit.
It is a breach of the law but increases danger only very slightly.
Advanced stop lines allow cyclists to negotiate junctions more safely
without the need to break the law, which is a Good Thing. I have
never felt the need to pass the line where an ASL exists.

But you are admitting adopting a "contingent" approach to the rules in the
HC rather than the absolute one you urge on others.

If you think it may, in some circumstances, be OK to exceed the posted speed
limit by 10% provided it increases danger only slightly, then fair enough, a
refreshing outbreak of common sense on your part.

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk
"If laws are to be respected, they must be worthy of respect."