Old August 10th 14, 07:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster to Ebbsfleet?

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sat, 9 Aug 2014 20:41:16 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 18:24:48 on
Sat, 9 Aug 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2014 15:23:53 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

[1] ATOC in October 2010:

"ATOC is co-ordinating train company input into this exercise and
it is hoped that by the end of 2012, all TfL and National Rail
Oyster readers will be able to accept ITSO based Travelcards along
with Oyster and magnetic stripe tickets."

Does this qualify as vapourware?? Paging Mr Corfield!

Not sure why I am being paged. You're in charge of vapourware.

I was wondering if you agreed this time (a project with a waaaay too
optimistic deadline announced).

You keep quoting quotes by others.

They are all people deeply involved in the project, saying when it'll be
ready.

So? I've known for about 18 months that the project was running late.
I'm not exactly bothered that ATOC, since replaced by the Rail
Delivery Group, can't be bothered to update a web page. There are
thousands of web pages with out of date project details on them.

I'm not the least bit surprised that
there have been delays to this stuff - it's complex involved stuff
with probably far, far too many people involved but that's government
for you. The last thing anyone needs is for this sort of technology
to go spectacularly wrong when being used by the public. This will
make people risk averse.

The fact is that the Dft sponsored project to modify the TfL estate to
read ITSO cards has been completed. It was delayed for a number of
reasons including the DfT changing their requirements. As has been
mentioned many times this info was in the public domain via updates in
TfL's quarterly investment reports. The thing that is delaying actual
"switch on" is the need to conclude a commercial agreement with each
TOC before their ITSO cards can be accepted. Again this isn't new
news.

Hmm, four years and counting there. So is it Hip Hip Hooray to the
engineers for getting the gates ready first?

It's of little relevance to me in terms of my rail travel so I'm
neither cheering or crying. I'm not a member of the Public Accounts
Committee or the Transport Select Committee so I don't have the
opportunity to drag in DfT officials and put them through a public
interrogation. One day we might find out the detail of what went
wrong but then again we may not.

ps I'm not sure what's so complicated about negotiations to allow TOCs
who are already selling paper Travelcards load onto an ITSO card they
already issue[1]. Isn't it TfL who have the "agree" to accept them (and
if money is involved in loading them, which way is it flowing?)

[1] SWT, Southern and EMT at the moment, I suppose.

Sales, acceptance and accounting for Travelcards are covered in the
Travelcard agreement which all TOCs are party to. I suspect trying to
modify the Travelcard Agreement just to reflect ITSO based products is
a step too far. Asking all TOCs to be involved and to sign off when
some have no ITSO products on their network and may not do so for
years is just asking for years of delay.

Given each TOC will have their own HOPS and it will need to talk to
Tfl's systems and there will need to be data exchange, sharing,
revenue settlement etc I can see why there may be complications. I
assume TfL and Southern have "broken the back" of ectually
establishing what an agreement looks like. Whether they've got an
agreement that covers all envisaged ITSO products plus extras like
Oyster at Gatwick Airport I couldn't say.

I also suspect that there is a lot of negotiation going on trying to
get Contactless Payment Cards accepted for NR travel within the zones.
That has probably taken priority over any ITSO acceptance agreements.

One day someone might reveal all the gory history but I've got no
actual way into the detail these days. I'm merely speculating from the
tiny snippets I read here and elsewhere. Someone sent me this link

http://issuu.com/abelliogroup/docs/o...july___for_int

- take a look at page 5 to get a tiny glimpse of what is being planned
by Abellio Greater Anglia for SEFT / ITSO.

Interesting. Roland will also be pleased to see the plans for gates at Ely
on page 7. /-)

--
Colin Rosenstiel