Old April 20th 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Wrong kind of pressure

Joe wrote:
And what 'engines' would those be? ;-))

Exactly what I said to the Fleet Manager this morning, it seems he
was the "Spokesman" in the news article and told the staff and the
media 2 diffrent things

Perhaps you could ask him why c2c attempted to blame the problem on an
unusually rapid air pressure increase. I've had a look at the Met
Office data for Shoeburyness for the night in question (Sun/Mon 18/19
April), and the pressure rose from 982mb at 22:00* Sunday to 992mb at
11:00 Monday. The Met Office uses words to describe the change in
pressure according to the size of rise or fall over 3 hours. The
fastest rises in any 3-hour period were of 3mb (22:00-01:00,
05:00-08:00, 06:00-09:00). There is nothing unusual about that. It
would take a rise of double that rate to qualify as a "very rapid" rise
in Met Office parlance.

* All times BST.

--
Richard J.