Old April 20th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

(Flash Wilson) wrote the following in:

However, I've come a cropper with a friend for referring to my
brother as having "special needs" when the term now is apparently
"individual needs".

It's not. Or at least I've never heard that term before and I'm quite
involved in that sort of thing. Special needs still seems fairly
current.

Personally I don't care what term people use to refer to my own
mobility difficulty, as long as a) it's not meant as an insult
and preferably b) they are making an effort to accommodate it.
I don't care if they use a slightly less preferable term; if they
are trying to do something to benefit me, I won't take offense!

Indeed. I think it's quite easy to get too bothered about terminology
with these sorts of things, but at the same time it's important to try
to get these things vaguely right and respect people's wishes. Easier
said than done!

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
"Dust Hill guy likes the Gordon clock"

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.