Old September 9th 14, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default ITSO Travelcards

In message , at 10:23:21 on
Tue, 9 Sep 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:
On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 09:28:46 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

I have a slight issue with the word "inspection", as I don't think the
fact you made a particular contactless payment is stored on the card, so
all they can really do (unless they have a way of downloading the
information from the bus before starting to examine cards) is grab your
data and then charge you a penalty fare or unresolved journey fee later.

Inspectors request a print out from the ticket machine on boarding the
bus. This has a list of any CPCs used on that trip which the
inspectors then use to check against any cards presented by a
passenger.

A wonderfully manual way of implementing an e-ticket system! As bad as
MegaTrain, where they check off your P@H tickets from a manual list at
the gateline.

I've only seen it happen once but that's the process as I
understand it. I don't know if that has since been modified as the
system has been upgraded in preparation for multi modal use.

This Londonist article gives some clues about what happens to a CPC
when touched in and also about new inspectors machines that can read
bank cards.

http://londonist.com/2014/08/contact...rt-some-more-a
nswers.php

"TfL is starting to issue inspectors with portable card readers which
will be able to read the card’s recent journey history."

Which contradicts what I thought I'd read about contactless card
technology and the ability to store recent transactions on the card - or
am I conflating that aspect with ITSO?

Although one of the comments (to you in fact) says: "On Oyster the
reader does write on to the card to prove you have touched in.
On contactless cards (as far as I know) they cannot write to the card,"