Old September 10th 14, 07:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default ITSO Travelcards

In message , at 23:44:13 on
Tue, 9 Sep 2014, David Walters remarked:
And with Oyster there's at least the chance that you can see your
balance disappearing, if you know exactly where to look on a gate for
the fraction of a second it displays the number. I'm quite sure there's
no such facility for the contactless cards.

I'm a member of the contactless pilot and on my journey home this
evening both gates gave me red lights while opening

What is the significance of a red light - it sounds like a "reject" (but
never underestimate the ability of hardware designers to mix their
metaphors).

but the exit gate also displayed my fare. I've just checked the online
version and that is matching what I expected to pay and what was shown
on the gate.

I'm not really sure how that happened.

If the gates are online to the "back office" it could be possible to
calculate and display the fare since the last 'touch', but this isn't
the same as a running total for the day.

I'll have to look more closely
at the displays next time and perhaps try and get a picture.

Wouldn't you need two people for that?