Old September 10th 14, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ITSO Travelcards

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 01:36:34PM +0100, Richard J. wrote:
David Cantrell wrote on 09 September 2014
I've been using Oyster PAYG instead of a paper travelcard for the last
few months. I don't trust it, so check my journey history every morning.
I find that it has screwed up, on average, once a week. And only once
has it screwed up in my favour by completely missing a journey. Every
other time it overcharged me.

Can you give some examples of how this happened? Did the system fail to
register a touch-in/out

It's mostly that - failing to register when the gates are either locked
open because there are no staff on duty, or failing to register but
opening anyway.

or has it miscalculated the fare for the time
of day that you travelled, or what?

I have no idea. Understanding the fare structure requires an advanced
degree in non-Euclidean economics. It does appear to be fairly
consistent in what it charges me provided that it correctly registers my
touches in and out though.

The one thing that ****es me off is that I will often touch in at
Thornton Heath a minute or so before the 09:30 cut-off for off-peak
fares, but the next train doesn't leave until after the cut-off.
Therefore I think I should be charged at the off-peak rate. It really
shouldn't be difficult for a billing system computer to look at a damned
timetable. However, AIUI this particular bit of over-charging is
deliberate and it's performing as advertised.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

One person can change the world, but most of the time they shouldn't
-- Marge Simpson