Old September 17th 14, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Contactless on the tube and rail

In message , at 16:13:19 on Wed, 17 Sep
2014, Mizter T remarked:
So TfL owns the right to the MiFare system, smart card readers and
contactless bank cards does it? Umm , no. So what is left - the
gates and the and the backend software?

They own whatever middleware and other technology has taken over a year
more than even the most recent estimate to get running. It looks as if
it *ought* to be simple, but clearly it's not.

You think it's simple. OK, if you say so.

I said it LOOKS as if it OUGHT to be simple sigh, but clearly it isn't.

That's not the same as saying IT IS SIMPLE and that they've botched it.

Right, I'll rephrase then...

You think it looks like it ought to be simple. OK, if you say so...

If I can by a coffee at Starbucks by waving a CPC, and it ends up on my
bill at the end of the month, it does seem as if waving a CPC at a gate
ought to register my presence with enough information to bill me
overnight once I've also registered a touch-out. But clearly it's all a
lot more complicated than that, given the kerfuffle to get it all in
place.