Old September 17th 14, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Contactless on the tube and rail

On 17/09/2014 16:36, Roland Perry wrote:

If I can by a coffee at Starbucks by waving a CPC, and it ends up on my
bill at the end of the month, it does seem as if waving a CPC at a gate
ought to register my presence with enough information to bill me
overnight once I've also registered a touch-out. But clearly it's all a
lot more complicated than that, given the kerfuffle to get it all in place.

Because Starbucks knows how much to charge you before you wave your
card, but TfL doesn't know whether you will make more journeys today.
Readers in shops can occasionally ask you for a PIN, but ticket gates
can't do that. This means new rules were needed, as well as new software.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK