Old September 18th 14, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Contactless on the tube and rail

On 2014-09-18 20:00:41 +0000, said:

Is that significant for CPCs, though? Everything about them is stored
at the
back office.

It might well not be in practice. People are fairly unlikely to hand
their contactless cards around to their mates - they could spend what
they liked if you did - I certainly wouldn't unless it was someone
travelling with me, in which case it would be passed to them at the
barrier and taken back afterwards. Whereas they might well pass Oysters
around, because the amount on it is all that is at risk.

You might be surprised just how many people do use other people's
payment cards (with the other person's permission - though in clear
contravention of the card issuer's rules). Chip & PIN facilitates this,
what with the lack of requirement for a retailer to check a signature
(and by extension a name).

You might think it unwise and never do it yourself, but other people
operate differently.