Old September 19th 14, 12:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bakerloo Line Extension

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 17:26:03 +0200, Robin9
wrote:

I've just read an article in today's Evening Standard about some London
Assembly politicians disagreeing with a southward extension of the
Bakerloo Line.
I didn't know an extension was being seriously considered - in fact I
still don't - but apparently the Mayor has instructed TfL to plan an
extension via Lewisham to Bromley. According to the Standard, those
disagreeing feel an extension in a more south-westerly direction would
serve Londoners better.

Does anyone have either more details or a firm opinion on this?

A TfL consultation launches on 29 September 2014.

It will cover two basic routes - one via Old Kent Road to Lewisham,
Catford, Beckenham Junction, Bromley. The second is via Camberwell and
Peckham then as option 1.

The ludicrous demands from two Labour politicians suggest a
combination of rank opportunism, ignorance and not paying attention.
Anyone who has been paying attention will know that there are only two
viable inner area routes south of Elephant and the long held view was
to aim for Bromley / Hayes. There is no way the Bakerloo Line is
going anywhere near Mr Umunna's constituency of Streatham. It never
was going there and never will go there. Mr Umunna would do better to
kick Labour Party policy into shape about building new tube lines and
having a coherent policy stance on the rail network. Their half arsed
"public sector operator" concept is so daft it's not worth
considering. It won't work, it will be subject to legal challenge and
is probably very dubious in terms of state aid issues. Back to the
drawing board Mr Umunna, Ms Creagh and Mr Milliband.

Southwark Council want both inner area routes built. I'd suggest the
fact that the Mayor has modified the London Plan to include a
development area on Old Kent Line gives a very strong hint as to where
the line will run because TfL will need private sector contributions
to help fund the line. I am unaware of any great opportunity for that
on the Camberwell alignment.

Personally I'd forget about running beyond Catford. I'd also quite
like a loop arrangement which allows a split service via Camberwell
*and* via Old Kent Road. The reason is simply that there is massive
demand for travel on both corridors and there is plenty of merit in
linking with rail services in Peckham and at New Cross / NX Gate. I'd
like the branches to meet at Lewisham and to have a combined function
where some trains continue to Catford but others can run in a loop
across Lewisham.

The service pattern could be

E&C - Camberwell - Peckham - Lewisham - Catford
E&C - Camberwell - Peckham - Lewisham - New Cross - Old Kent Rd - E&C
E&C - Old Kent Road - New Cross - Lewisham - Catford
E&C - Old Kent Road - New Cross - Lewisham - Peckham - Camberwell -
E&C

I realise that is complicated and LU doesn't like loops very much but
providing convenient through local trips in inner SE London would take
an awful lot of pressure off the bus network.

It always seemed to me that the lack of tubes in South London was not only
due to the Southern Railway's electrification programme but also the last
redoubt of the London tramway network. I guess the Camberwell extension was
to make up for the end of the trams but it still feels as if a densely
populated area lacks high capacity public transport.

--
Colin Rosenstiel