Old September 20th 14, 07:12 AM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizter T View Post
On 18/09/2014 16:26, Robin9 wrote:

I've just read an article in today's Evening Standard about some
London Assembly politicians disagreeing with a southward extension
of the Bakerloo Line.
I didn't know an extension was being seriously considered - in fact
I still don't - but apparently the Mayor has instructed TfL to plan
an extension via Lewisham to Bromley. According to the Standard,
those disagreeing feel an extension in a more south-westerly
direction would serve Londoners better.

Does anyone have either more details or a firm opinion on this?

It features in the London Infrastructure Plan 2050 - see the Transport
Supporting Paper:
https://www.london.gov.uk/priorities...ture-plan-2050

What do I think? I'd favour heading SE over SW, I think the benefits
would be greater. That said, I can't help but feel that if it was
extended to Camberwell, as planned in the 30's, it'd be greatly
beneficial - and possibly, like the Victoria line from Brixton, quite
full up without the capacity to go much further.
Any extension to Camberwell, with presumably a station at Camberwell Green,
should go at least one station further south to Denmark Hill. The London
Overground system, which now of course serves Denmark Hill, has two main
weaknesses: the platforms are too short and there are not nearly enough
interchange stations.