Old September 21st 14, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Graham Harrison[_2_] Graham Harrison[_2_] is offline

Default Bus blinds

wrote in message
news
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:33:38 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
() wrote:

On 19.09.14 22:19, francis wrote:
Is there any reason that some London buses have white destination
blinds & some have yellow?

It's a gradual shift from yellow to white.

Return, you mean. i noticed in Edinburgh this week they are increasingly
using white light digital displays to replace blinds like those in London.

At one time at night if you saw a white blind approaching it would be
a normal bus, if you saw a yellow one it was a Greenline service.
Despite catching one regulary with my Gran she always said "how did
you know it was that one coming in the distance" she never seemed to
notice the different colour.

G.Harman

As a child I could do something similar with my local buses. In those days
the 55 ran from either Chiswick Swimming Pool or Chiswick Station to
Greenford Red Lion or Hayes Station. The way in which those names were
presented in the destination (for example "Swimming" and "Pool" pool were
one above the other in smaller type than Chiswick) meant it was easy to
distinguish from Chiswick Station (all one line) by simple pattern/picture
recognition.