Old September 22nd 14, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Contactless on the tube and rail

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 12:50:13PM +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:40:02
on Fri, 19 Sep 2014, David Cantrell remarked:
Whereas they might well pass
Oysters around, because the amount on it is all that is at risk.

Not if you've got auto-topup enabled - as anyone will have who uses PAYG
frequently and doesn't enjoy pointless queueing.

There were some stats pointed at here about six months ago (when
discussing the imminent demise of the Barclay Onepulse) which I think
(but am willing to be corrected) indicated a very low takeup rate of
auto-topup. Something like 2%

I suppose that the number of people who use it frequently but not quite
enough to make it worth having a travelcard is going to be low.

The thing about the risk of a card-borrower cranking up a huge CPC debt
is "how many coffees can they drink a day"?

My understanding is that there's no way of flagging repeated
transactions just under the twenty quid limit - so no way of saying "OK,
those drinks for GBP18.40 are fine, but if he does it again we should
really ask for a PIN". If that's the case you can *easily* run up a
large bill very quickly with a few rounds of drinks.

NANOG makes me want to unplug everything and hide under the bed
-- brian d foy