Old September 24th 14, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default All-night Tube trains from Sep 2015

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 11:46:01 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 11:37:18 on
Wed, 24 Sep 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:
Transport for London (TfL) said the move would support almost 2,000
permanent jobs and provide a £360m boost to the economy.

Mick Cash, the new RMT general secretary, said...
the truth is that the mayor threw this plan in as a diversion from
his massive cuts and closures programme that will axe a thousand staff and
decimate services and safety.”

So what is it: 2,000 more or 1,000 less?

I rather suspect the 2,000 jobs are jobs in the wider economy not in
TfL / LU. That's how I read it.

Given the number of taxi and bus drivers it'll put out of a job, I'm not
sure where the increase in jobs outside TfL will come from.

I don't suppose there will be any reduction in night buses. And I
don't suppose any taxi drivers will be put out of a job.

If it requires 2,000 people to run a
partial Night Tube service then something's seriously wrong!

Shift working for drivers, signallers, station staff etc. I don't know
how many they require for the current manning pattern on those lines,
but it'll need an increase of two shifts a week.

I wonder what they'll do about cleaning and maintaining the trains those
nights - not bother, or do half on a Friday night and the other half
Saturday night?

It's only a limited service on a subset of lines for two nights a
week, so the fleet will still be in a depot for at least five nights a
week. Even on those weekend nights, only a reduced fleet will be in
service.