Old September 24th 14, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] sriram.anita1@gmail.com is offline

Default DLR Oyster validator

On Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:06:42 AM UTC+1, Offramp wrote:
Subject: DLR Oyster card issue

Thank you for your email below, the trail of which started whilst I
was on annual leave.

Your summary ... is a bit harsh ... but the position has been slightly
muddied in the past by DLR due to validator capacity at your stations.

The official position, as outlined in the TfL Conditions of Carriage
and in publicity etc, is that when using Oyster on the Tube, DLR,
London Overground and National Rail, you must always touch in at the
start and touch out at the end of every trip. This is irrespective of
whether using a Travelcard season ticket only, PAYG only or a
combination of both. This has always been the position.

However, DLR have always taken the view that due to the number of
validators at your stations, the priority must be to get full/partial
journey users of PAYG to always touch in and out in preference to
Travelcard season ticket users i.e. you do not want PAYG users saying
they did not touch in/out due to a queue of Travelcard season ticket
only users causing congestion.

Having said the above, it is not the policy of TfL to Penalty Fare/
Prosecute anyone who has not touched in where they are found to be
using their Travelcard season ticket within Zone as there is no proof
of fraud. The only occasion when this would be possible is where the
Oyster card user has been caught starting/finishing/travelling 'out-of-
zone' (subject, of course, to the other Conditions of Carriage).

I hope that this goes some way to clarifying the position. If it does
not, please feel free to give me a call.

Best wishes
Ticketing Policy Manager
Transport for London | Fares and Ticketing
1st Floor | 1 Butler Place | London | SW1H 0PT

Sir,

While being new to London and now slowly getting familiarized with the systems I find the services to be of good quality. The only place where it has been a bit difficult/complicated is on the DLR as validating machines are nowhere in eyesight. I went all over the place (greenwich stn)and finally found one but it did not work, I went and inquired and was told to go the nearest underground station where they would sort it. I obviously could not travel to the underground station (another trip). It charged me for the full day fare which was twice the cost of my actual trip. Being new here I felt a bit helpless. I understand that there are some teething problems but if the validating machines are in working order and clearly marked/kept at the exits your passengers would be much thankful and it would avoid much of the confusion.

Thanks and Regards,