Old September 28th 14, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default Croxley Link

"Recliner" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:
In message

, at 03:40:45 on Sun, 28 Sep 2014, Recliner
remarked:
The extra train, new stations and
additional track will also need to be maintained.

Is that really a noticeable percentage of 28 million?

Why do you think this particular stretch of line will pay its
operating costs from revenue, when the system taken as a whole
doesn't?

[Tube fares are about £1.6BN, operating costs about £2.4BN, capital
costs on top of that].

How does that answer my question?

It shows that the margin cost of operating the line could well be of
the
same order of magnitude as the farebox. In other words, you are
seriously
underestimating the additional cost of operating the trains.

TfL apparently expects a modest operational surplus, presumably because
this simple above-ground line is relatively cheap to operate compared to
the deep level Tubes.

A modest surplus is reasonable, but Tim seemed to think it would be the
bulk of the £26m.

I think you and I agree that he was ignoring most of the operating costs

I hadn't ignored them

I just assumed that they wouldn't make a significant dent in the total

Even if they are 10 million, that still leaves 15 million per year to pay
down the capital costs of 120 million. Over a 25 year period that's more
than enough.

But are they 10 million. I have no idea, and so far no-one has come up with
any figures beyond the total costs of maintaining the complete network

tim