Old April 21st 04, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Steve is offline

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

On 21/4/04 6:50 pm, in article , "Clive D.
W. Feather" wrote:

Those of us who have had disability awareness training from our employers are
told to use the expression "Wheelchair users". You might want to bear this in
mind the next time you update.

I've borne it in mind. And I will continue to use the correct
expression, which is "wheelchair-bound".

This is in danger of turning into a PC-ness argument, but I must ask why you
think the expression 'wheelchair-bound' is correct compared with
'wheelchair-user'?

Somebody who sits in a wheelchair and uses it to get around is, surely, a
user of the wheelchair, thus, a wheelchair user.

Wheelchair-bound implies to me that the person is physically tied, or,
'bound' to it?

Some people might think it offensive they are thought of as tied to their
wheelchair?

Steve.