Old September 29th 14, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default No Surprise: Crossrail drives property boom

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 10:59:38AM -0500, Recliner wrote:

Crossrail, the high speed train service that will stretch across central
London, is already adding value to homes along its route ...

Europe???s largest infrastructure project has driven house prices up by 96pc
over the past decade, according to a study by the online estate agent
eMoov, which also estimated that the average house price of property near
the route would rise another 36pc by 2020.

And what will happen to the price of comparable properties not on the
Crossrail route? House price inflation in Clapham, for example, is 45%
over 5 years, so we can extrapolate that to just over 100% over 10
years.

Everywhere on Crossrail already has fairly decent public transport
compared to its surrounding area - it involves no new stations at all -
so I wouldn't expect to see any massive changes.

Tottenham Court Road has long been portrayed as the epicentre of the
Crossrail project with huge amounts of development in the area and it is
also one of the main central stations,??? said Russell Quirk, the founder of
Essex-based eMoov. Prices in the area are now over four times higher than
10 years ago, the report showed. In 2004 an average flat was worth
??240,000, but has risen by 439pc to more than ??1m.

Central London prices go up a lot in a decade. I'm shocked.

Outside London, Reading has recorded an 11pc increase in the price of a
flat since 2004, but larger properties in the area increased by between
40pc and 63pc.

Inflation over the last 10 years was 38%. House price inflation over the
same period was 34% nationally, 43% in the area around the metropolis,
and 77% in Greater London. I don't think this shows that Crossrail has
had any effect on Reading at all.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

What a lovely day! Now watch me spoil it for you.