Old April 21st 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Solar Pennguin Solar Pennguin is offline

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

"Steve" wrote in message

Somebody who sits in a wheelchair and uses it to get around is, surely, a
user of the wheelchair, thus, a wheelchair user.

Yes, but that also includes any partially disabled (or even able bodied)
people who have just chosen to use a wheelchair for whatever reason. If
they can leave their chair to evacuate the underground station on foot
during an emergency, then they've got nothing to do with the issue of
evacuating those heavily disabled passengers who can't leave their
wheelchairs. That is, after all, what was being discussed here, and it
makes sense to use the most appropriate term for this very narrow, very
specific group of people in this very narrow, very specific context.

Wheelchair-bound implies to me that the person is physically tied, or,
'bound' to it?

Now you're just being silly. Or maybe you think the term "northbound
trains" implies they're physically tied to the north!?!

You, Steve, are nothing but a very poor troll, and I'm plonking you firmly
in my killfile. Let's hope others in this group have the sense to do the
same.