Old October 6th 14, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Oyster Card

In message , at 01:55:00
on Mon, 6 Oct 2014, remarked:
Once you've topped up once this way, isn't it better to switch to auto
top-up? It doesn't apply to me any more, as a lucky Freedom passholder,
but as I recall, once your on-line top-up has been successfully collected
from a gate, subsequent auto top-ups don't need this form of validation.

Why on earth would anyone who visits London 2 or 3 times a year have any use
for auto-top up?

To avoid having to queue to top-up when they do arrive in London. I know
you don't like having more than a couple of quid on your Oyster card but
others could appreciate the convenience. I used to (when travelling down
from Nottingham where the typical train fare was already £75 a trip).