Old October 8th 14, 12:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Card

In article ,
(Theo Markettos) wrote:

wrote:
I never queue for top-ups because I mainly use Oyster Ticket Stops.
But then I spend well under £20 a year on Oyster. Would anyone
visiting 2 or 3 times a year spend even that?

It's not hard to burn through a tenner (my standard topup) in a couple of
visits, particularly if they're multi-day (eg passing through, out Friday
back Sunday). It's not just the topup, but leaving enough remaining to
make another journey without topping up.

I don't think I've ever got close but then almost all my tube journeys are
within Zones 1 & 2 (the Putney stations are in Zones 2 and 3) and I tend
just to make an out and back pair of journeys.

It's particularly the issue for buses, where there are no topup
facilities. I'm often getting off a train, walking to X, doing thing,
then wanting to get a bus to Y, at which point you don't want to find the
nearest tube to topup (I suspect few non-Londoners use Ticket Stops or
would know where to find the nearest). Or getting National Express in,
where I don't pass through a mainline station. And it's handy to have
credit when you land at Heathrow and want to take a bus - is there still
no Oyster facility at the bus station?

Sir wants to find more ticket stops.

I've not used contactless, so this could be less of an issue due to that.

--
Colin Rosenstiel