Old October 10th 14, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Improving public transport access to London's airports

On 10/10/2014 09:40, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 00:58:57 on Fri,
10 Oct 2014, Theo Markettos
remarked:
It also should be remembered that contactless payment is not an option for
people with non-UK cards (and, for credit control reasons, may continue that
way).

I thought they'd gone a long way to fixing that.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-paym...tless/what-is-
contactless#outside

But there may well still be a blind spot for those prepay cards sold at
American airports to tourists worried about C&P in the UK. Maybe that's
the subset that they are talking about?

I think it's more than that - there are some non-UK cards that won't
work for various reasons.

Re pre-paid cards - I've reported this before on here, but my Orange
Cash pre-paid card (the only prepaid card on the UK market I've come
across that has contactless) didn't work when I tested it for CPC
transactions on London buses. I haven't tested it since the 16 Sept full
rollout of CPC on London transport (because stupidly it's in the pocket
of a jacket that's hanging on a hook many miles away!), but I will as
soon as I can. I don't expect it will work though.

Although the achilles heel for all families/groups travelling is that
you need one card per person.

Yep. For children visiting London, the child Off-peak Day Travelcard
(zones 1-6) at £3.60 is a decent option - though it's hardly obvious
looking at the TfL website.

It is possible to get a 5-10 or 11-15 'Zip' Oyster Photocard if you're
visiting London, but you need to apply online and then pick it up, with
proof of age, from one of the five TfL Travel Information Centres.

(5-10 year olds won't need one if travelling accompanied by an adult on
the Tube/DLR/LO as they go free, ditto for London buses but no need for
an accompanying adult.)