Old October 10th 14, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Improving public transport access to London's airports

In message , at 10:45:54 on Fri, 10 Oct
2014, Mizter T remarked:

In the absence of a Cheap Day Single, I wonder how many tourists
arriving buy the much more expensive Open Single, rather than a Cheap
Day Return and throw the other half away?

Sorry, that's not quite right - for journeys *from* Luton Airport - the
Anytime Day Single from Luton Airport to London is £15.50, the Off-peak
Day Return is £16.50. Similarly, at weekends the Super Off-peak Day
Single is £10.40, whilst the Super Off-peak Day Return is £12.00.

Things must have changed in the most recent fares manual (I was working
from the Avantix that expired last month, which shows an Anytime Day
Single at £26)

However for journeys *to* Luton Airport from London, *on weekdays* the
exact same applies - the Anytime Day Single is cheapest - however on
*weekends* the cheapest option is the Super Off-peak Day Return at £12,
as (for reasons unknown) they don't make the Super Off-peak Day Single
available for journeys starting from London.

There never used to be a Super Off-peak Day Single at all. But it's
available from London too:

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?o...o=1072&tkt=CBB

(My recollection is that the Super Off-peak Day Return didn't used to
be available from the London end, so you could only take advantage of
it by buying one to start at Luton Airport and just using the return
portion.)

When the weekend-only Super Off Peak Day Returns [CBA] were introduced
to where I live on what's now Great Northern they were only into London,
but now there's an outward flow as well.