Old April 22nd 04, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] romic@cix.compulink.co.uk is offline

Default Trafalgar Square tube station?

In article ,
(simon) wrote:

Hi everyone.

I've been reading the latest edition of London's Underground. Having
known nothing of the capital's tube system, it has been a very good
read. One thing puzzles me though - on an old map in the book there is
marked Trafalgar Square station, I think, on the Bakerloo. On modern
maps, this station no longer exists. Strangely, in an appendix listing
service dates of disused/abandoned stations, it isn't mentioned. I may
be mistaken, but in the mid-60's, I vaguely remember my parents taking
me to visit Trafalgar Square and then getting the tube from here home.
Any information to satisfy my curiosity would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Simon.

The platforms are still in the same place, but when the Jubilee Line was
built there was a new booking hall built at Charing Cross. This served the
new Jubilee Line station, the Bakerloo Line Trafalgar Square station and
the Northern Line Strand station (which had been closed for a few years).

The layout is such that when going down from the Charing Cross booking
hall, the Northern Line is one end, the Jubilee Line is in the middle and
the Bakerloo Line is at the other end. This effectively gave a link
between the Northern Line and the Bakerloo Line (albeit a very long walk!)
whereas in the past should anybody have wanted to go from the Bakerloo
Line to the Northern Line they would have had to that at what is now
Embankment.

When I've been round the Trafalgar Sq. area, I've always walked past St
Martin in the Fields and gone to the Charing Cross station via the
pedestrian walkway under the Strand. As far as I know, there is no
physical link from Trafalgar Square itself to the new Charing Cross
booking hall, but I may be wrong.

The station naming itself got a bit confusing due to the station that is
now Embankment having its name changed at different times over the years.
In 1973, for example, it was named Charing Cross and served the
District/Circle Northern and Bakerloo Lines as it does today. The Northern
line also stopped at the actual Charing Cross station, but the station was
called Strand.

Roger