Old October 10th 14, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Improving public transport access to London's airports

On 2014-10-10 14:40:35 +0000, Mizter T said:

The prepaid contactless card I have doesn't work on TfL - I imagine
because one could use it to run up a debt on it, given the lack of
online authorisation (this is even though in this case - Orange Cash -
they do verify who you are). FWIW, I got it out of curiosity, and for
other contactless transactions it appears that an online authorisation
is indeed done each time (hence it's not quite the 'wave and go'
experience the adverts make out!).

Perhaps this might all change, or a limited amount of fraud might be
accepted given that, for instance, bus ticket machines are much more
'online' now than they used to be (so misused cards could be
blacklisted sharpish).

Quite possibly. Remember I didn't say now, I said 5-10 years hence.

A ticket machine where? In what was once the local Oyster Ticket Stop?

A Tube station? Other strategic locations like bus stations?

You might well have a backup Oyster card at home, or one you can borrow
from someone. (Have you never left your debit card out of your wallet
having bought something online?!)

Meanwhile...
Scenario 94: I have a contactless card but I don't have enough money in
the bank - perhaps I might be able to use it for a journey, but that'll
put me into unauthorised overdraft territory and my journey home will
cost rather more than two or three quid.

How's that different to the same situation with an Oyster card you have
to top up? I suppose you might have a couple of quid cash in your
pocket, but we are heading into Ian Batten's favourite goat-herding
exceptions here.

Neil
--
Neil Williams