Old November 2nd 14, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David C[_2_] David C[_2_] is offline

Default Transport sights for a London day trip

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 19:48:16 -0500,
wrote:

Much snipping........
The Woolwich Ferry idea (we could use the foot tunnel) was also that it
might not last much longer! In the early 1970s I took convoluted routes to
Liberal Party Assemblies which included ferries and other services which no
longer run. Travelled to Tilbury Riverside and the ferry to Gravesend
(gone), to New Holland Pier and on the Humber Ferry (gone) and on the Mersey
Ferry and then on one of the few trains from Lime Street to Southport which
no longer run. We may have taken the Woolwich Ferry on the way to Brighton
in 1974 but none of us can remember any more. :-)

IMVHO the Woolwich Ferry will be running for some time to come, & it's
quite convenient for foot passengers as well as cars.

As for the Tilbury Gravesend Ferry, it still runs every half hour from
Monday to Saturday.
Tilbury Riverside Staition is indeed long gone, (now the site of an
intermodal container terminal), but there is a connecting bus to the
Ferry Landing Stage from Tilbury town Station, route number 99
operated by Ensign Bus, & free to rail ticket holders.

HTH, DC

---