Old November 2nd 14, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Transport sights for a London day trip

On 02/11/2014 17:28, David C wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 19:48:16 -0500,
wrote:

Much snipping........
The Woolwich Ferry idea (we could use the foot tunnel) was also that it
might not last much longer! In the early 1970s I took convoluted routes to
Liberal Party Assemblies which included ferries and other services which no
longer run. Travelled to Tilbury Riverside and the ferry to Gravesend
(gone), to New Holland Pier and on the Humber Ferry (gone) and on the Mersey
Ferry and then on one of the few trains from Lime Street to Southport which
no longer run. We may have taken the Woolwich Ferry on the way to Brighton
in 1974 but none of us can remember any more. :-)

IMVHO the Woolwich Ferry will be running for some time to come, & it's
quite convenient for foot passengers as well as cars.

*If* there's ever a bridge built in those parts (i.e. a Beckton -
Thamesmead bridge - what was the "Thames Gateway Bridge" project), then
the ferry would cease.

That's a big if though - the present focus for a new crossing is back on
the Greenwich Peninsula to Silvertown tunnel.

As for the Tilbury Gravesend Ferry, it still runs every half hour from
Monday to Saturday.
Tilbury Riverside Staition is indeed long gone, (now the site of an
intermodal container terminal), but there is a connecting bus to the
Ferry Landing Stage from Tilbury town Station, route number 99
operated by Ensign Bus, & free to rail ticket holders.

Indeed - dunno where Colin gets the idea that the Tilbury to Gravesend
ferry is no more!

Information from Thurrock council:
https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/ferry-services/tilbury-to-gravesend-ferry-service

Unfortunately the recently redesigned Kent County Council website seems
to suffer from amnesia with regards to the ferry, despite the fact that
the ferry is part funded by Kent CC! (It used to feature on the old Kent
CC website I'm sure.)

I *think* there might be some obscure Kent to Essex (and v.v.) rail
tickets routed via the ferry, albeit without the price of the crossing
included...?