Old April 23rd 04, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

Default Level Crossings on busy lines

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
s.com...
"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Richard J." wrote in message

Incidentally, the level crossing at Lincoln Road (Enfield) is closed to

cars
at nights and all day Sunday. I think the one in Park Lane near

Theobalds
Grove station might be as well.

Er, wouldn't there be more rail traffic during the day than at nights and
weekends, and therefore more need to keep the barriers down for longer
during the day? Or is it because there's also more road traffic during the
day as well.

If a brand new road is built these days, what are the guidelines about

level
crossing versus bridge? Are there any circumstances where level crossings
would still be installed these days?

The Lincoln Rd crossing being closed at night and weekends has something to
do with it being a former private rd (?) I've seen mention of it on hear
somewhere before (Google will probably be your friend). With the WARM
project there was a roomer that they wanted to replace it with a
electronically gated crossing of some sort, but it was decided to leave it
as it was. People had cited it was un safe - it is only 'un safe' if your a
pedestrian and you don't pay attention when on or about the crossing.

I can only think of 1 accident at that crossing, and if I remember it
correctly that was a mini that smashed through the gates one night when It
was closed. I don't know of any vehicle Vs train incidents there though.

The Park La. crossing is a different matter - Anyone who is local to the
Enfield area or get the local rag from round there will know about a spate
of near misses, and idiotic motorists who insist in trying to jump the
barriers and cross when trains approaching. WAGN or rather 'one' took the
decision to close the crossing off. I'm not sure if that is still the case,
I haven't been out that way for a while now.

[To avoid getting run over, stop look and listen...]

---