Old November 3rd 14, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport sights for a London day trip

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

The Strand Underpass is of note, being converted from a former tram
subway and being tiny compared to pretty much any other road tunnel
you will ever go through. I don't know if buses still go through it
in the rush hour. Occasionally the northern end of the tram subway is
open for art events, allowing pedestrian access to the former
platforms with old roundels, but I doubt if the day of your trip will
be such a day. The tram tracks leading down from the Theobalds Road
junction are of minor interest. I believe that the small square
archway in Holloway Road almost opposite Witley Road is the only
other place that you can still see abandoned tram tracks, see
https://www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw...set-7215762613
5089492

I agree a look at the tram subway ramp would be good. People won't have seen
conduit tram tracks before.

The Holloway Road photo is interesting but of limited interest as we have
bits of horse tramway still extant in Cambridge, including in the yard of
the Tram Depot pub. Those are fake even though in a genuine location but
genuine tracks still lie below the road surface outside the Senate House and
are exposed by road works from time to time before being covered over again.

--
Colin Rosenstiel