Old November 5th 14, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] is offline

Default Transport sights for a London day trip

In message , David C
wrote:
Exactly. It was Tilbury Riverside that went. I went there in 1960 too. Was
that before the end of steam I wonder?

LTS steam finished in 1962, with some mixed steam / electric
operations (using the steam timetables) in 1961.

There was also some diesel loco haulage on the LTS, using Brush type
2's from Straford & the old loco-hauled coaches.

Riverside hasn't been closed for that long,

It closed on 1992-11-30.

I can remember that, as a child, just about all trains reversed there
en-route. As a result, we very rarely went that way from Leigh-on-Sea to
Fenchurch Street as a following via-Upminster train would overtake it. I
was a teenager when I caught a train that was non-stop between Barking
and Benfleet and got diverted along the Tilbury loop, meaning I finally
"bagged" the chord line.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org